RE: Re: Cover letter feedback

Subject: RE: Re: Cover letter feedback
From: "Steve Schwarzman" <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:04:39 -0400

Gene wrote:
>there's still a lot of us old geezers around who think that a business
letter is not the same thing as a page from a technical manual.

I'm with Gene. But I have to say I like the t-letter format as the heart of
the cover letter. It shows, presumably, that the writer can identify and
organize critical information, which I think is crucial in a tech writing
candidate. My preference would be for stronger introductory and concluding
paragraphs with some sharp writing with additional information about the
candidate and why they might be great for the company and position, and then
the t-letter part can be a table in the middle. Throw in some nice
formatting for good measure.

In other words, I want to see both good writing and good organization of
information. A cover letter's not a bad place to look for both.

Steve Schwarzman
Books for Writers - http://www.writersbookmall.com

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com