FW: Scope of translation of manuals

Subject: FW: Scope of translation of manuals
From: Maritza van den Heuvel <MaritzaV -at- stt-global -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 16:32:29 +0200

Maritza: I've just been requested to scope the translation of all our
end-user material into German. I have a fair idea of the actual translation
load involved, since I've been a translator longer than I've been a
technical writer, but I'd like some input based on experiences with similar
projects, especially with regards to typical problems experienced and
documentation management issues.

This is the scenario:

1) There are approximately 700 A4 pages of text to translate, with about 300
- 350 words per page.
2) Translation will be done on-site by a qualified, accredited translator
with IT/localisation experience.
3) As technical writer for the company, I will be overseeing the translation
project. This includes managing the material, the resource's time and
providing technical feedback where required. However, I'm officially on loan
to development for 2 - 3 months to write system specifications for our
upcoming release. The system specifications take priority at all times. I'm
also responsible for a couple of other business areas that need my attention
on a continuous basis.
4) Additional SME input will be readily available.
5) Translation will be done in our single-source authoring tool which has a
plug-in to handle seamless localisation. The translator, however, will
probably have no previous experience with the tool, implying a learning
curve of about 2 weeks to achieve a minimum level of proficiency.
6) Since I'm not a mother-tongue speaker of German and won't be able to QA
the translations, all translated material would require checking by an
editor/proofreader, most probably an outsourced freelancer.
7) The application being documented is a sophisticated, multi-author
e-learning tool, the Dreamweaver of this kind of tool, as opposed to
FrontPage.

Bearing all this in mind, what would you say is a realistic and/or feasible
timeframe to complete the project? Of course, Business Development/Sales
wants it as quickly as possible, but I've been given room to pace this as I
see fit to ensure quality and to avoid derailing other current projects.

Your insights and input will be most appreciated!

Regards,
Maritza

***
Maritza van den Heuvel
Technical Writer

Software Training Technology (Pty) Limited
http://www.stt-global.com

The contents of this e-mail and any accompanying documentation are
confidential and any use thereof, in whatever form, by anyone other than the
addressee for whom it is intended, is strictly prohibited. Views and
opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of STT.

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com