RE: arrogance

Subject: RE: arrogance
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 13:19:39 -0400

John Posada sez:

> >sort of feedback is useful, simply because
> >it gives you another perspective.
>
> When I get writing suggestions from a non-writer, how I handle them
> usually breaks down into thirds:
>
> One third I accept and make the changes
> One third, I reject and leave as it is
> One third I don't make that change, but I rewrite the sentence or
> paragraph, seeing the suggestion as an indication that the immediate
> content could have been better.

That sounds about right. If the first person to take
a stab at your deathless prose is confused by any
of it, then maybe it's not as crystal clear as you
might have thought. The nature of what threw them gives
you some direction for fixing the obscure bits.

On the other hand, if they struck out "rear" because
they can't read that word without seeing "rump" or
"butt" or whatever, then you can just ignore anything
else they've had to say, because they're too stooopid
to live anyway.

But, if they're still in the game, and they know the
subject, you certainly give weight to any factual queries
that they highlighted. Either they point out a "whoops"
that you recognize when it's brought to your attention,
or they find a flaw in the logic and you can see it
yourself, once they explain the difference (similar
to them pointing out an error that's due to a change in
the product since yesterday) you agree and make the
change, or, you nod politely and then go find another
source to confirm (after all, you just got into trouble
by trusting assumptions, so it's time to overreact a smidgen).

/kevin

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com