Re: arrogance

Subject: Re: arrogance
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:08:59 -0700 (PDT)

Johan,

This feeling is not necessarily one of "arrogance."

I would submit that the occasional experiences like this are most often accompanied by a sense of wonder that we can be inspired to create something that is clearly above our usual level of performance. This is, I think, more a feeling of transcendence, of going above the norm. Personally, these experiences make me more humble, since I certainly cannot explain why it happens and I spend a considerable effort trying to experience it more often thereafter!

This is akin to the Zen experience of "enlightenment" and to the more common expressions we all know such as "Isn't it nice when it all comes together!"

Arrogance lies in the belief that we are in some way more worthy than others. There are many related beliefs and emotions, however, that accompany that feeling but that also may be separately experienced. Feelings of mastery of a skill to a high level are usually accompanied by a recognition that there is still much to do to improve--and is often not thought of in relation to the abilities or performance of others. When self-directed, such feelings of confidence need not be arrogant. There is, after all, room for similar excellence in others.

One trap to avoid, I think, is to understand that "...the excellent is often at war with the good." In other words, if we demand of ourselves this level of perfection we can become frozen and frustrated when all of our work does not meet up to this sort of high quality. This can be a deadly problem when you must meet stringent schedules and produce a quantity of output that is at least "good enough."

To me, it all seems to be a matter of perspective.

Thanks for the post--it is good to think through these things from time to time. I appreciate it!

David

-----Original Message from Johan Hiemstra <webmaster -at- techexams -dot- net>-----

I was wondering how you feel about, and perhaps cope with arrogance. I
know arrogance itself is generally not considered a good thing, I don't
consider myself arrogant either (just a bit cocky perhaps ;)), it's just
that I recognize it sometimes.

Do you ever write something down and immediately think it is good, great
even?

>From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's
DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com