Acronyms in documentation (was RE: Need some help for SRS

Subject: Acronyms in documentation (was RE: Need some help for SRS
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:56:28 -0400

John, prompted by Manisha's unattributed use of "SRS" wrote:

> I'd venture to add that the message is a prime example of
> what makes so
> much of our documentation crap:
>
> The assumption that 4,000 people all know and agree on what SRS means.
> How much other content does this person write where it is assumed that
> something is known without establishing it.
>
> At worst case, we all know that the first use of an acronym should be
> spelled out.

That was always my practice in paper and PDF docs, but
what's "best practice" in Help?

A user may first encounter an acronym on any page at all,
since there's no obvious preferred order in which to read
Help pages.

If it's a frequently used acronym or abbreviation, it
might get a little annoying to make every occurrence a
link to the glossary.

What do others do? First occurrence on every page is a link?
Other approaches?

And in general, I've heard of two schools of thought:

a) in Help, you should make extensive use of linking since,
after all, hyperlinking is one of the major benefits
of Help/html, and yes, people jump in anywhere and
they need guidance wherever they are

VERSUS

b) in Help, you should minimize "busyness" and visual
clutter on your pages, so too many links is a no-no.

Some might say "well, take the middle path", but others
might respond that it's more important to be consistent
in your approach and presentation, so that users always
know what to expect.

So, if I haven't put enough words into everybody's mouth,
what do y'all have to say for yourselves?

Regards,

/kevin (not in USA, but not in India, either :-)

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com