Re: Need some help for SRS

Subject: Re: Need some help for SRS
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:03:46 -0400

My initial reaction to this post was a sarcastic "Google It!". Which is a
knee jerk reaction I have been suppressing with regards to a number of
questions to the list lately.

Googling "SRS Document Template" yields 5,900 links including complete
templates and the IEEE standards.

Got to say that even though I have never been involved in a software
development project I'd feel comfortable starting with the only the
information in the first few hits. I'd even go so far as to say I'd be
embarrassed to have to come to the list for such basic information to even
get off the ground.

Unfortunately, this rank amateur question also gives more fodder to those
disgusted by off-shoring to India. While I am usually a defender of open
borders, international competition (after all much of my work as a
Canadian has been down to me being cheaper than American equivalents), and
helping fellow professionals this is getting ridiculous. If the simplistic
requests continue or multiply, I fear more TECHWR_L participants will
become jaded and we will begin to lose the wonderful resource of the help,
support, and guidance of thousands of fellow professionals. Past history
has already shown, through cyclic peaks in students requesting the list
complete their homework assignment, that TECHWR-L as a group can be pushed
over the edge and become quite snarky.

No matter where the question comes from (students, India, or Joe Schmoe in
middle America), list members deserve the respect of having the questioner
show they have done a certain level of self study and investigation.

So, do your own homework and come back to the list with an intelligent,
informed question. One that shows that addresses some specific nuance of
the problem and whose discussion will provide quick study and elevate the
knowledge of those not in the specific field and hone the skills of those
who are experts in the field.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com