Re: Mac browser problem ("404: page not found")?

Subject: Re: Mac browser problem ("404: page not found")?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:32:56 -0700

Geoff Hart wrote:

In the past few weeks, I've stumbled across an interesting problem. Web pages that colleagues have been able to open in a PC-based browser don't seem to open in either of my Mac browsers. (I'm using the latest versions of both Safari and Internet Explorer under OS-X Panther. Both get the same error message) I get a "404: file not found" error.

I'd check the links, the HREF attributes of the A tags you click on to display the pages that aren't showing up on the Mac. Specifically, I'd make sure the

Because filenames are case-independent on Windows, there are three places where problems can arise:

* A Windows-based HTML editor may display a file named myfile.htm or
MYFILE.HTM as Myfile.htm, so you mistype it when you create the HREF
to it.

* A Windows-based HTML editor may may create files with uppercase
extensions, especially when you type on ly the filename portion in
the Save or SaveAs dialog box. Those files may later be displayed
as Myfile.htm when you create the HREFs to them.

* Worst of all, Internet Explorer on a Windows machine is famously
lax about enforcing the rules of HTML, in which filenames and A tag
names (which IE calls "bookmarks," for heaven's sake) are supposed
to be case-sensitive.

MacOS and Unix properly enforce case-sensitivity in their file systems, as do at least some of the browsers available for MacOS and Unix. I'm wondering whether THAT might be why your HREFs work on a Windows machine but not under MacOS. If so, the effect would be exactly as you describe, and the solution would be a simple search-and-replace.

It's worth a quick check, anyway.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com