Re: Mac browser problem ("404: page not found")? More info.

Subject: Re: Mac browser problem ("404: page not found")? More info.
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:29:24 -0400

Kat Nagel suggested: <<I've run into web pages that have no normal text but are built around fancy ActiveX controls and/or Java applets. With those 'helper' programs deactivated, I get either a blank page or the 404 error. If I go into my browser options, turn on ActiveX/Java, and re-launch the browser, the pages load correctly. Could this be your problem?>>

Could be. This didn't solve the problem when I changed the settings without quitting and tried to reload the URL. Quitting Internet Explorer and restarting also didn't solve the problem.

Ed Wurster suggested that providing a sample URL might help. D'uh! <g> Sorry about that. One of the URLs relates to a non-Java file downloader page for the PunchwebGroups service (https://www.punchwebgroups.com/invited.html), which I can't usefully point you to because the problem pages require a password and are thus confidential.

Another one is a list of journal guidelines, which should be fit for public inspection <http://meme.biology.tohoku.ac.jp/POPECOL/RP.htm> The error message for this latter page is also slightly different from the 404 error that I've received with other pages:

Not Found
The requested URL /POPECOL/RP.htm was not found on this server.
Apache/1.3.29 Server at meme.biology.tohoku.ac.jp Port 16080

I suppose it's possible that this file is actually missing, but the client supposedly copied the URL directly into e-mail, and the last time I encountered this particular error, the page was indeed there--just wouldn't open on the Mac!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com