Re: Mac browser problem ("404: page not found")?

Subject: Re: Mac browser problem ("404: page not found")?
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:40:22 -0400

At 11:18 AM -0400 2004/04/25, Geoff Hart wrote:

In the past few weeks, I've stumbled across an interesting problem. Web pages that colleagues have been able to open in a PC-based browser don't seem to open in either of my Mac browsers. [snip] I've disabled ActiveX and Java in my browser and most spyware is PC-only. So it's unlikely (though not impossible) that my computer has been hacked by someone with a rabid aversion to Macs and the inability to make their hack work well.

I've run into web pages that have no normal text but are built around fancy ActiveX controls and/or Java applets. With those 'helper' programs deactivated, I get either a blank page or the 404 error. If I go into my browser options, turn on ActiveX/Java, and re-launch the browser, the pages load correctly. Could this be your problem?

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com