Postscript to "$3 a page" saga

Subject: Postscript to "$3 a page" saga
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:31:46 -0400

The publisher's response to my transmittal letter:

Sorry I wasn't clear in the original e-mail about book pages, but
c'est la vie.

Thank you for pointing out discrepancies in our specs.

I did not respond because I'm very busy over here. And speaking of
which, you're definitely going to need to work more independently in
the future--the back and forth is very time-consuming.

I thought your work on XXXX was satisfactory, but it was some what
of an odd example of our work since a lot of the elements were above
and beyond our normal specs. I'll let you know if there is more work
coming and hopefully it will be a more representative example of our
jobs.

--------------------
My response:

Thanks for your response, XXX.

I am happiest when I am working independently, XXX, so that won't be
a problem on future assignments. Once I know what you want and how you
want it, I can work quite well without bothering you. My main concern
is giving you exactly what you want. Toward that end, in the case of
that book (and because I was a brand new editor with you), there were
necessary questions, in my opinion. I needed to clarify with you the
meaning of some of your statements about tagging in the memo, as I
recall. That should not indicate to you any inability or unwillingness
to work independently -- and I am concerned that it did. I do
apologize, however, if my questions seemed unnecessary, but I was new
to your system and didn't understand that Word styles were as good as
tags.

If I do more work for XXXXX, I think you will find that you'd never
hear
from me. By then, I will have a better understanding of how things are
done. I do hope we can work together again.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com