RE: Minding their Ps and Qs at Jasc

Subject: RE: Minding their Ps and Qs at Jasc
From: "Karen L. Zorn" <klzorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:15:36 -0400

DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com wrote.
>"It happens" only when there's no documentation process. Using Word,
>for
>>example, it's easy to set up a process to ensure that the Index has
>been
>>properly updated -- along with the TOC, headers, footers, etc. --
>before the
>>document is rendered read-only. I assume that the process is equally
>>straightforward in FM and other apps.

Then you start asking are they using embedded indexing whereby the
process is automated, or send the docs out to a professional indexer?
Embedded indexing, provided you regenerate before publishing would
ensure an accurate index. Third party input, where the doc authors
can continue to add content before publication, could throw the index
entries entries off.

Granted, the original point was the index entries point the reader to
the wrong location, not a good situation in any case.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com