Re: FrameMaker question: graphics for bullets?

Subject: Re: FrameMaker question: graphics for bullets?
From: Ratz Günter (CPTec GmbH) <ratz -at- cptec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:52:08 +0200

Christine Pellar-Kosbar wrote:

> I'm trying to recreate a format in FrameMaker that I had in Word.
> I'd like to create a bullet that is a graphic (the word "Note" in a box with a colored fill).

> I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Hi Christine,

FrameMaker doesn't offer an elegant solution for this problem.
Three ideas how to manage it:

APPROACH 1: Use FrameMaker's "Autonumber Format" option

1. Create a character format named "~Note"

2. Use the character format designer and set the required options

Example: Weight = Bold
Color = Orange
All other entries set to "As Is"

3. Create a paragraph format named "Note"

4. Use the paragraph designer and set the required options

Example: [Basic]
Indents: First = 0.0"
Left = 1.0"
Tab stop at 1.0", Left

[Numbering]
In the "Autonumber format" line, enter "Note:\t"
and select the character format "~Note"

The problem is that FrameMaker is a bit restricted with regard to character
formats. It is not possible to put a frame around the text or to assign a
colored background.

APPROACH 2: Use FrameMaker's "Frame Above Pgf." option

1. Use a graphic program and create the formatted word as a
drawing

2. Export the graphic as an EPS file

3. In FrameMaker, click [View] > [Reference Pages].
Select the reference page named "Reference".

4. Click [Graphics] > [Tools]

5. Select the "Place a Graphic Frame" tool and draw a rectangle.
In the requester, input "Note" as a name for this frame.
Size = 0.5" x 0.3". Use [Graphic] > [Properties] for precise adjustments.

6. Import the graphic into the anchored frame.
Move the graphic to the upper left corner of the frame.

7. Click [View] > [Body Pages]

8. Create a paragraph format named "Note"

9. Use the paragraph designer and set the required options

Example: [Advanced]
In the "Frame Above Pgf" list, select "Note"

The "Note" graphic automatically appears on top of each "Note"
paragraph. Very convenient to use. The problem is that FrameMaker
offers automatic graphics above or below paragraphs only.
It cannot place a graphic to the left of the paragraph.

APPROACH 3: Keep a template on the reference page

Create a paragraph with the required layout and put it on a reference page.
It can be copied to the body pages whenever you need it.

1. Create the EPS graphic

2. Create a paragraph format named "Note"

3. Use the paragraph designer and set the required options

Example: [Basic]
Indents: First = 1.0"
Left = 1.0"

4. Create a paragraph mark. Apply the "Note" format to this paragraph.

5. Type the following dummy text into the empty paragraph:
"This is the text of my note."

5. Set the cursor to the beginning of the "Note" paragraph.
Click [Special] > [Anchored Frame] to insert an anchored frame.
- Anchoring Position: Outside Column
- Side: Left
- Width: 0.5", Height: 0.2"

6. Drag the anchored frame to the left border of the text frame

7. Import the graphic into the anchored frame.
Move the graphic to the left edge of the frame.

8. If the paragraph suits your needs, place a copy of it on the reference page
named "Reference".
- Use Copy & Paste for this.
- If the reference page does not contain a text frame already, you have to
create it with the "Place a Text Frame" tool first.

Best regards
Guenter
------------------------

CPTec GmbH
Dr. Günter Ratz
Brienner Str. 54
80333 München
Germany
mailto:ratz -at- cptec -dot- org
http://www.cptec.org

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com