RE: Offshoring Tracker Launched (fwd)

Subject: RE: Offshoring Tracker Launched (fwd)
From: "Steve Schwarzman" <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:06:33 -0400

kk wrote:
>The workers whose jobs are being offshored today - what new jobs are they
supposed to retrain for?

and Mike wrote:
>The solution for tech writers is retrain, so we're told, but, hey, they're
retraining in other countries, too.

If companies find it economical to send tech writing offshore, and tech
writers feel that the resulting work isn't as good as it should be, it seems
to me there could possibly be a business model waiting to be developed.

Has anyone approached either the offshore companies or their US customers
with proposals to manage and QA the documentation? It seems to me that on
either end, there could be a positive response if you could show a value
proposition of significant quality improvements against a relatively small
addition to the cost. The bulk of the work would be done by the less
expensive offshore workers, but a smaller set of managers, editors, etc.
would do the QA and maintain standards to an agreed level.

In order to make a sale, you'd have to demonstrate the cost of unacceptable
quality, whether in terms of reduced customer loyalty, increased support
costs, or other measures. Come to think of it, you'd have the same
conversation with either customer (offshore or US).

Steve Schwarzman
Books for Writers - http://www.writersbookmall.com

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com