RE: Re: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY

Subject: RE: Re: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 12 Apr 2004 20:49:54 GMT

I can't recall anyone in the discussion, including John,
claiming it was "fair" to judge a candidate negatively
for having been outsourced; it was merely cited as a
possibile reaction. And I would count someone who
recognizes their tendency to react that way and warns
you about it in an effort to help you avoid it as
someone with a pretty high degree of "integrity." Most
interviewers (myself included) do not begin every
interview by providing candidates with a list of things
they should avoid saying.

Even an interviewer who doesn't react negatively to the
news that you were outsourced may react negatively to
the way you deliver that news. Many people (myself
included) have an awfully hard time discussing a job
loss experience without allowing their feelings to slip
through. Some people who post to this list are able to
virtually darken my monitor screen with the emotions
their posts on the subject project, and I can't even see
their faces or read their body language the way I could
in a face-to-face interview. Unless you know absolutely
that you can tackle such a discussion dispassionately,
it is always best to avoid it, and in a negotiation
(which any interview is from start to end), there's a
world of difference between providing false information
and simply not volunteering unnecessary information.

Gene Kim-Eng