Best practices for distributing custom templates?

Subject: Best practices for distributing custom templates?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:19:52 -0500

Amelia DeLoach wonders: <<I'm developing a Microsoft Word template that will be distributed to all 300 associates within my organization. One issue that we're concerned with is how to update the templates in the future. We need to make updating the template as easy as possible so that users will actually update it themselves and we can be *assured* that they have made the updates.>>

The most effective approach _if you have "managed" PCs_ is for the head of your computer department use the remote administration tools provided by the PC's manufacturer. These tools let administrators install software updates directly over the network on all managed PCs. Because the new/revised template can be installed directly in each user's Templates folder, you know that the template is up to date and easily accessible, even when the network is down or unavailable.

Unfortunately, many companies don't invest in this kind of setup. In that case, try solution 2: Install the template on your network, and give everyone the URL (if it's an intranet) or directory path (if not) to the file. No installations required other than on the network itself, and you only ever have to update a single file. The big problem with this approach is that people tend to like installing templates locally (particularly if your network is at all unreliable or if they often work off-site with laptops), and quickly end up with outdated templates.

You can kludge a solution together easily enough by creating a startup macro (see Word's online help for details) that loads whenever someone opens the custom template: the macro looks at the document's information box, and if the pathname doesn't point at the current file on the network, will open the network version of the template instead. This would take a bit of Visual Basic trickery (beyond my skills), but it should be feasible.

A simpler solution might be to create what is essentially a blank template that won't actually be used, but to which your custom template (stored on the network) is attached. (Do this via the Tools-->Templates and Add-ins menu choice.) Every time someone opens the blank version of the template, however old it may be, Word will load the custom template from the network and use that template's settings. I'm not networked and thus can't test how well this works, but you can test it yourself quite quickly.

A third solution: If the custom template is used primarily when someone is assigned a task, and if you track these tasks, then you can ensure that the task management system sends that person the current template along with the task. This is less complicated than it sounds; at my former employer, we used to do this in Outlook, using nothing more sophisticated than Outlook's built-in task management system, with a few customizations for elegance.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com