Re: Best practices for distributing custom templates

Subject: Re: Best practices for distributing custom templates
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:23:05 -0600

At 10:58 AM -0800 3/31/04, Amelia DeLoach wrote:

All,

I'm developing a Microsoft Word template that will be
distributed to all 300 associates within my
organization. One issue that we're concerned with is
how to update the templates in the future. We need to
make updating the template as easy as possible so that
users will actually update it themselves and we can be
*assured* that they have made the updates. A
technology person within our organization suggested
sending out an install wizard to handle this but to
properly install, we would need to reference registry
settings because of how Word handles templates. This
sounds tricky and difficult.

Best practices on how to handle the distribution would
be greatly appreciated.

For something like this, I would suggest that all of their templates point also at a central area maintained by the IT department. Either they have a private and a company templates area, or IT does the distributing by pushing it into the various users home areas.

Scott

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com