Stupid Word tricks

Subject: Stupid Word tricks
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:20:47 -0800 (PST)

I want to ask for input on why Word 2000 is doing
something peculiar. I don't need a fix because I've
found out how to get around the problem, but I am
really curious about what causes this problem.

In one document, when I try to insert a
cross-reference, the page number that shows is the
wrong number and the wrong format. For example, I try
to insert a CR to page 22. The page number that shows
up in the CR is Roman numeral "i." (Note that it is a
-small i.) The document section that contains page 22
is set to use common numbers (1,2,3,etc.) for the page
numbers. The only part of the doc that uses Roman
numerals for page numbers is the TOC, and that uses
capital Roman numerals. The CR is a hyperlink, and
clicking on the erroneous CR takes me to the first
page in the doc.

What's even more puzzling is, this problem occurs in
only one location in the document. The CR is in one
cell of a table. If I put a CR to page 22 anywhere
else in the doc, it works perfectly.

BTW, the workaround is, to just put in the CR to page
22, then insert a second CR in the same table cell,
then delete the "i." The second CR

Is this a case of some kind of file corruption, or what?

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com