Re: voice to text software

Subject: Re: voice to text software
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:53:40 -0700

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:03:39 -0800, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com ("Ned Bedinger") wrote:

> $Can't speak for any of the current crop of speech
> $recognition engines, but the speech recognition
> $engine in the original MS SDK (10-ish years ago)
> $required a lot of hand-holding (training of the
> $engine, proof-reading of the output). These
> $engines have a training phase, which is supposed
> $to tune the speech recognizer to more accurately
> $render
> $text from your speech, microphone, etc.

I had to do the same thing with my Dragon Naturally Speaking software,
and with the voice recognition software native to XP.

It's good enough now that one can get some fairly good results with less
than half an hour initial training. 85% to 90% recognition is possible.

As you use the software, if does fine tune your profile so you get
better results. Potentially, with time, it can get up to about a 95%+
level of accuracy.

It's been a couple of years since I got my Naturally Speaking software,
so recognition ability may be even better now.

John Fleming
Technical Writer
Edmonton, Alberta

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com