Re: Re: Tech writers, comments about.

Subject: Re: Re: Tech writers, comments about.
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:31:22 -0800 (PST)

1. I vote for the Mic--but don't turn it off.

2. I vote that 90 mph is about twenty too slow.

And ... (see below) ...

--- "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
> To stretch that metaphor, consider this:
>
> On the road in question, we might all agree that 90
> mph is too fast. Some of
> us would prefer 35, some 50, and some even 60.

In another thread, Richard G. Combs wrote:

<quote>Once again, Dick Margulis has written a post
that ought to be framed
and
hung on cube walls throughout the land. I especially
liked:

> when I am in a situation like that I FOCUS ON THE
WORK NOT THE
> RELATIONSHIPS (yes, I'm shouting). I am the only
person who has to
> appreciate the quality of my work. If my boss
appreciates it, too,
> that's a plus. But if I'm casting pearls before
swine, I concentrate
on
> making the best pearls I can and I don't worry about
the swine.</quote>

I disagree with Dick on this score. If the situation
sucks, if I'm the only one who appreciates the quality
of my work, forget pearls and/or swine, I can only be
an island for so long before I become unhappy ...
which, in turn, affects my commitment and my desire to
be at work, and so the slippery slope winds .... That
is, the atmosphere for me cannot be always negative,
or even always neutral; there has to be--for me at
least--a carrot as well as a stick (no, the microphone
stand won't do instead ;?).

=====
T.

"Money makes the world go 'round is an incomplete statement; money is the fuel, and stupidity is the short bus that burns it." (Bill Swallow-02/04)

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com