Re: Re: Tech writers, comments about.

Subject: Re: Re: Tech writers, comments about.
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:45:26 -0700

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

> I think Don's point was more about being responsible for
> our own behavior than for other peoples' feelings. If
> you're satisfied that you've made a point without being
> deliberately insulting, demeaning or just plain nasty,
> then how other people interpret or misinterpret your
> words is indeed their problem. but it doesn't require
> professional training in psychology, counseling or "PC"
> thinking to be able to tell when someone *is* being
> deliberately insulting, demeaning or just plain nasty.
> Rudeness is like obscentiy; you may not be able to
> define it, but you know it when you see it.

Point taken. There are things we can all -- or virtually all -- agree are
beyond the pale.

My concern is with the PC standard that _anything_ _anyone_ finds offensive
(after the fact) is unacceptable. I said "It's like having an unposted speed
limit, where the police say you'll know you were going too fast after they
give you a ticket." To stretch that metaphor, consider this:

On the road in question, we might all agree that 90 mph is too fast. Some of
us would prefer 35, some 50, and some even 60.

But there's always going to be one damn fool who insists that anything over
20 is way too dangerous. Do you want him to have a badge and a ticket book?
:-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant, a division of Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
richardDOTcombs AT voyanttechDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT freeDASHmarketDOTnet
303-777-0436
------

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com