RE: "DO NOT COOK"?

Subject: RE: "DO NOT COOK"?
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:42:12 -0600

I knew I would get blasted for that wording. :-)

The wordiness was intentional and a little tongue-in-cheek. Simplicity and
legality don't always go together. You rarely see a caution as concise as
"Do not cook." One of the required cautions in our documentation states:
"The cutter blade is sharp. Do not touch or rub the blade with your
fingers." Apparently, the simpler, direct statement: "Do not touch cutter
blade," left open too many possibilities, so we had to change it.

In the case of these pb&j pastries, the company should be consistent with
what their customers see. If the pastries that need to be cooked say so on
the individual wrappers, then the ones that do not need to be cooked should
state so on their wrappers. Train the customer what to look for, then give
it to them consistently.

BTW, I nearly laughed myself into a stupor reading the messages in this
thread. :-) "DO NOT EAT" got me chuckling, but I totally lost it when it
came to "Do not eat wrapper" and the undrained-tuna sandwich. John, I have
to admit that I made it all the way to college never having done a load of
laundry and had to watch others to know what to do. I guess what we see as
obvious instructions may not be as obvious to some...