Re: This from the NWU

Subject: Re: This from the NWU
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:01:19 -0500

At 01:11 PM -0500 2004-03-09, Mike O. wrote:

Wise guy that I am, I went to dice.com and searched for the phrase "no
telecommuting," expecting to find that most of the job postings contained
that phrase, which is what I recalled the last time I went job-surfing a few
years ago.

Much to my surprise, there were only 14 hits out of about 36,000 job
postings. Which tells me either a) employers have changed their minds and
are now totally open to telecommuting, or b) they are still opposed to
telecommuting, but jobseekers are now so desparate that the "no
telecommuting" policy is taken for granted.

<sigh>
I think you need to expand your search criteria to include other ways of expressing the same concept, if you want to get an accurate picture of this (or any other) employment trend.

Try searching for "(on-site) OR (on site)" . That will add about 775 hits. "Local candidates only" brings up another 846 items which have only minimal overlap with the "on site" list. There are also many job listings that include language like "All work to be done in our [location] office."

And every Dice listing I've explored in the last three years---every single one I've contacted, even if they didn't explicitly exclude telecommuting in the job description---has announced a no-telecommuting policy at some point during the initial phone interview.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, who wishes the US 'economic recovery' would expand into upstate NY.

ROBOHELP IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as, content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate. http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com