Re: Have you considered print on demand? Was: Re: Which image format-Clarification

Subject: Re: Have you considered print on demand? Was: Re: Which image format-Clarification
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:25:15 -0800 (PST)

Chuck,

When I was at Nortel, the docs were on the CD when a new generation of switch software was shipped. We were instructed that when a particular manual exceeded 1200 pages, it should be broken into a second volume. Each switch had multiple manuals for various aspects of the switch operation...and many of these were multiple volume manuals. Further, I worked on a relatively *small* switch product (a campus grade switch, the MSL-100).

It isn't likely that those will be printed in their entirety for anyone--but being able to print those pieces that pertain to a given job is a useful feature of Acrobat docs on the CD.

The point of POD printing is that the users who want a paper manual get a book, printed on both sides and (usually) perfect-bound.

David

"I wonder, when a company is buying a product that has documentation only in
PDF format on the CD, to they calculate the fully-loaded cost of how many
users will be printing part or all of the docs and add that into the
purchase price or TCO? I'll bet the people selling the product, if they've
made that calculation, won't be volunteering that information."

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com