RE: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation)

Subject: RE: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation)
To: 'Diane Evans' <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:14:20 -0500

Diane Evans [mailto:diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com] offered:

> I wouldn't know how to work in a company where there was even
> a chance for
> promotion (the lone writer thing has always been good to me).
> I simply do
> my job, do it well, and go home satisfied at the end of the day.

Well, that mostly describes me, but I did get a slight
hankering when I bumped my head on the classification ceiling
several years ago, and we chatted about hiring some juniors
for me to mold, as the company grew.

Then the DOT-Bomb hit and we chopped more than half the
company, then took an across-the-board pay cut and a
hiring freeze for a couple of years in order to stay
in business.

Then we got bought. Then we got bought again. We're being
kept as a development entity, with our marketing, finance
and other support functions (that were needed locally when
we were a stand-alone company) being stripped away to a
foreign head-office. So I'm working for an entity that's
actually even smaller than previously. Only slightly
larger than when I was hired, though now weighted almost
entirely to Engineering.

Pay is decent. Bennies have been good, and should continue
so. Co-workers are a really good bunch. If the future has
taken on a certain sameness, at least it's a pleasant and
professionally congenial sameness. :-)

/kevin