RE: RE: Documentation Architect vs. Technical Expert !

Subject: RE: RE: Documentation Architect vs. Technical Expert !
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:35:00 -0800 (PST)

> I'm not sure anyone is saying that the writer should
> be a complete
> novice. I think what some people argue -- myself
> among them -- is that
> you can do a better job of writing about a product
> if you START OUT by
> bumbling around with it as a novice, because then
> you can see all the
> things a new user will trip over.

I see what you mean and I kind of agree. I would
restate this to say that the TW has to be able to look
at the product from the user's point of view, with no
preconceived notions of what will or should happen.

Personally, I believe the most valuable trait a TW can
possess is not technical knowledge or even writing
skills. It's the ability to quickly learn new things.
If you have that, you can pick up the others.

http://search.yahoo.com