re indexing glossary items

Subject: re indexing glossary items
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:50:49 -0600

About indexing glossary items, I found a short article on techwrl by
Lori Lathrop from Jan 1994 (below). It might be a post to this list from
1994, don't know.

Thinking about what I said in an earlier post on this topic, I agree
with Gene Kim-Eng's last post. Actually, you could have 2 different
glossaries for a manual, a general 'list of definitions' that would not
be indexed, and a more specific 'glossary of terms used' that would be
indexed.

I do not think that everything in a manual (or other tome) should be
indexed, but glossary items generally should be.

Jim Jones doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net

Xxxxxx
Subject: Re: Indexing Glossaries
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 21:31:26 EST
I am a member of the American Society of Indexers (ASI), and I have
developed hundreds of indexes for technical documents. In response to
whoever asked (sorry, I didn't keep the posting) about indexing glossary
entries, I vote *for* indexing glossary entries, especially in technical
documentation, where terminology may be unfamiliar to some users.

One of the best books on indexing, _Indexing From A to Z_ by Hans H.
Wellisch, says:

"... Glossaries are often included in books on topics whose
terminology is still unstable or full of neologisms and
specific usages of terms by the author. The presence of
a glossary should be indexed, and the terms defined in it
(which will almost inevitably be employed in the text and
thus have index entries) should also be indexed, preferably
by a subheading "defined" ...."
Xxxxxx