Re: US versus UK English, How relevant?

Subject: Re: US versus UK English, How relevant?
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:54:58 +1100

ellis -at- cherryleaf -dot- com wrote:
> No, that's not correct.
> In the UK it is spelt "dialog box" - we use the US form for this
> computer term, but retain the UK spelling for the verb. I've never
> seen "dialog box" used in a current UK computer manual.

I've never seen "dialogue" used in a computer manual, let
alone "dialogue box", but I suppose it is possible.

Both spellings are in British dictionaries. They are also both
in American dictionaries.

I've lost track of what your point is, but if it is that
the only possible use of "dialog" is with reference to
user interfaces, you're wrong, as a bit of Googling will
show. Try it and see.

*My* point is that if you're going to use both spellings
in instructional text, you owe it to your readers to explain
the difference rather than to assume that everyone thinks
of it the same way you do.
--
Michael West