Re: Common Errors in English - pattern recognition

Subject: Re: Common Errors in English - pattern recognition
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:34:01 -0800

Sean Hower wrote:

Yeah, I could buy that there are differences going on here. I vaguely remember a study that showed that different brain activity took place when someone read phonetic scripts and someone read characters (like Chinese). But I don't remember if that was in context of misunderstandings about Chinese language or a simple discussion on processing two different kinds of information.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember hearing something similar. But as so often happens when proof of different brain activties comes up, the question remains: what, if any, is the result of the difference? Is there any greater efficiency? Different abilities? Or is it, like left and right handedness, a difference so small or so arbitrary that it has no practical results at all? I'm not an expert in the field, but I don't recall any studies of brain differences that tries to tackle these questions.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield