Re: Political correctness - one minority to another

Subject: Re: Political correctness - one minority to another
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: Yaeger Hyde <y_hyde -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:28:13 -0800 (PST)

By no means is it confined to a minority person making the reference. However, too often members of one minority may be "given a pass" because of that status where members of a majority would not be.

For example, an account on the radio today regarded a black woman member of the U.S. Congress complaining about the Bush Administration failing to intervene in Haiti--whereupon she stated the Administration people involved were "...a bunch of white men."

She happened to be speaking to an Assistant Secretary of State who is a Hispanic American. He stated he was offended by the remark--whereupon she flatly said "You all look alike to me."

This is by no means an isolated example either, unfortunately.

David

-----Original Message from Yaeger Hyde <y_hyde -at- yahoo -dot- com>-----

The recent thread about political coorectness prompts
me to observe that sometimes members of one oppressed
minority can say offensive things about another
minority -- apparently without realizing that they're
commiting the very offense they hate others to commit
against them. I remember two examples involving black
people. One was a bus driver who was driving through
Chinatown and being slowed down by the lunch time
crowd. He remarked, "Uh-oh, ruch time." The other
was someone who was telling someone else about a
diamond ring he'd bought, and told the person he'd
gotten a good price from the seller because "I jewed
him down." And that guy worked in a retiremnt home
populated largely by Jewish people and was in the
lobby of the building when he said it.