Re: RoboDemo vs. Flash MX

Subject: Re: RoboDemo vs. Flash MX
From: Justin Soles <justinsoles -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: jbreger -at- ayalogic -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:44:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jonathan,

Interesting question - Flash IS more complicated but
also offers you the ability to customize a demo
through animation and programming. That said, you can
do some interesting things by using both programs
together. For ex., I am currently producing CD and
web-based tutorials using Flash MX and ViewletBuilder,
a demo/training application like RoboDemo that
produces Flash movies (and used to be a TECHWR-L
sponsor):
- I use Flash to create my front-end UIs with splash
screen, navigation system and control buttons
(stop/play/etc.)
- I use ViewletBuilder to create the individual
tutorials from screenshots and then export these
canned demos as Flash movies.
The front-end calls the demos and plays them within
the UI, making the whole thing appear seamless.

Now could you use Flash to do the whole thing (UI and
tutorials/demos)? Yes, but (speaking from experience)
it would be pain and take far longer because Flash is
more of a "swiss-army knife" to for web
animation/application than for producing demos.

My 2 cents worth:
- if you want to produce canned (or semi-canned)
demos/tutorials, stick to RoboDemo or ViewletBuilder.
- if you want to produce web animation/applications,
stick to Flash MX.

Cheers,
Justin

PS: Does anybody know what happened to DemoShield? How
does it stack up against RoboDemo/ViewletBuilder?

Subject: RoboDemo vs. Flash MX
From: "Jonathan Breger" <jbreger -at- ayalogic -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:46:16 -0500

What thoughts does everyone have about using RoboDemo
or Flash MX? Flash MX seems more on the complicated
side whereby RoboDemo can help get stuff out
more quickly.

Thank you.

Jonathan R. Breger

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools