FrameMaker conditional text: one manual number or several?

Subject: FrameMaker conditional text: one manual number or several?
From: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com>
To: framers -at- frameusers -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:16:13 -0600

(cross-posted to framers and techwr-l)

Hello everyone,

I am just learning about conditional text, and love it! If only I'd done it
sooner... :) Since I'm new to it, though, I have a question for any of you
who:
a) use conditional text
and
b) use a numbering system to keep track of your manuals.

My question is with regard to workflow strategies. I will try to be as
clear as possible. If I don't succeed in that, please ask for
clarification.

The way our system is set up, each manual has a number assigned from our
PDM (product data management) system. Each manual is made up of sections
which each have a number assigned through a complex (read: arcane)
numbering system that I won't try to explain here. Each manual also has a
revision level.

Previously, I had one manual number that covered a group of ultrasonic
welders that differed only in one section, the Operation section. I set up
three Operation sections within a single manual, printing the applicable
section in color when I printed the book.

Now, they've added two new welding methods, bringing the total to three.
Things have changed so much that one manual isn't going to cut it anymore.
I decided to give conditional text a try, and set up a new manual with 8
variations of conditional text (5 variations of models and 3 variations of
methods). It worked great! But now I need to figure out how to produce the
books in such a way that if a customer calls in 5 years and wants a manual
for their system, I know which one to send them.

Normally, I distinguish which manual goes with which machine by serial
number (which are assigned by model); however, because of the 3 different
welding methods, there can be three variations within each range of serial
numbers.

I am hoping some of you seasoned users of conditional text might be able to
help me answer these questions:

1. Is it better to have one manual number and include the model(s) and
welding method on the cover?

2. Is it better to revise every version when I make a change, or only the
one(s) that the changes apply to?

Thanks for any insight you can offer,

Lisa B.