Re: Resumes with a sense of humour

Subject: Re: Resumes with a sense of humour
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:11:13 -0700

Three things:

1) The resume ain't the time for humor - the interview is.

2) In a couple places I've worked, there's a good chance the manager
reading that e-mail would be from India. He or she might not be amused by
the curry remark. Some people might feel that having their entire culture
reduced to a food seasoning could be considered condescending.

3) Some people have no sense of humor. None. Read this board for a week
and you'll see that. There's a chance your attempt at humor may fall flat
or even turn off the person reading the resume.

FWIW, I've screened a lot of resumes, and even though I'm VERY much into
humor, I can't think of a scenario where I would be favorably impressed by
humor in a resume. Save it for the interview.

Keith Cronin
Still trying to get my company to outsource our tech writing to Maui, with
me willing to relocate to spearhead the effort. So far, no takers.