Re: Programming Guide Standards?

Subject: Re: Programming Guide Standards?
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "HSC Italian" <twins398 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:39:02 -0500

HSC Italian writes:

For those of you well versed in writing programming guides, is there a standard for how accepted values and default values are documented?
The programming guide I just updated has two common identifiers for each given command: 1.Accepted Values (lists all values and descriptions for each given command, including the default) and Default Value (shows just the default value, no description). It has been proposed that the Accepted Values be changed to Other Values, which would list all values, except the default, and the Default Value would appear in the Default Value areas, only.
I would leave "Accepted Values" and list all values including the default, plus its description. Then I would indicate that this is the default perhaps by putting the word default in parentheses beside the value, or by putting an asterisk beside it, or something.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
2-271 Aubrey Street
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3