Re: errored out, or erred out?

Subject: Re: errored out, or erred out?
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:34:57 -0500

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com writes:

Which do you use when referring to records that generated error messages
while being processed?

Neither. I write: "The system returns an error message."
I was going to write that sentence another way, but I ran into a grammar difficulty:
1. If you or the system screw up, the system returns...
2. If you or the system screws up, the system returns...
I'm still puzzling over it.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3