RE: Queries on Single Sourcing

Subject: RE: Queries on Single Sourcing
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:26:22 -0800 (PST)

Well, that's a broad question. Here's one way:
<http://www.pubsink.com/brierley_winwriters_presentation.pdf>.
There are other ways. My way uses neither databases
nor XML. In fact, XML is not a requirement. Tools that
support this are WebWorks Publisher <www.webworks.com>
for Word or FrameMaker, AuthorIT <www.author-it.com>,
Veredus <www.rascalsoftware.com>, and RoboHelp for
FrameMaker (www.ehelp.com), and there are others.
Typical HTML editors and text editors will probably
not be useful in this single-sourcing regard.

From: "Elizabeth O'Shea"
<elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:10:57 -0000

Most of our documentation is html. We have many
variations on a single product, and those variations
have slightly different installation procedures.
Currently, I have to trawl through web pages to make
changes, and I rely very heavily on find and replace
to make my work faster and more accurate. But I could
see how we could start experimenting with single
sourcing by getting this installation info into a
database and then pulling it into web pages.

So, how do I get the chunks into the web pages? Is
this an xml task? Or would we need one of the
applications a few people have mentioned to do
it?

Elizabeth OShea
Documentation

=====
T.

"Money makes the world go 'round is an incomplete statement; money is the fuel, and stupidity is the short bus that burns it." (Bill Swallow-02/04)

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html