RE: Using M-dash and N-dash (legal)

Subject: RE: Using M-dash and N-dash (legal)
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'Abhijit Sinha'" <abhijits -at- newgen -dot- co -dot- in>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:48:05 -0600

Abhijit,

About the part of your question about legal English (in the US, for
other places I don't know), here's a snippet of legalese from a
copyright notice and my edit. The snippet is clear enough, I guess, but
it is wordy, redundant, and comes off as being legalistic.
But being clear and unambiguous is always more important.

xxxxxxxxxxx

..Other than specified above, no part of the material of this Web site
may be reproduced in any form using any means without explicit, prior
permission in written form granted by..

My edit:

..Except for the above, no information or designs from this Web site may
be reproduced without prior written permission from..

xxxxxxxxxxx

Hope this helps.

Jim Jones doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net

off-site

TECHNICAL Writing/Editing Chinese to English German to English
CaRtOoNiNg..Technical Illustration
other, including small schematics
Chinese Characters for Graphics
HAM RADIO OPERATOR
STC
Society for Technical Communication
Chicago STC Technical Workshop Coordinator
IEEE PCS
Professional Communication Society of IEEE

Abhijit Sinha wrote:

Can you please explain the differences in the use of M-dash and N-dash?
Also
please let me know if there is any difference between legal english and
normal english (American or British). Please suggest..