Re: Really Annoying Help (WAS Saying "RTFM" out loud (was Everyday [was: Style question: "war d ial" ...

Subject: Re: Really Annoying Help (WAS Saying "RTFM" out loud (was Everyday [was: Style question: "war d ial" ...
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:20:21 -0500

Steven Brown writes:

I've been theorizing for some time now that many
people don't use online help because they simply don't
know it exists or how to access it. There are other
reasons, too (such as shallow content, poorly
organized content, etc.

Single-sourced help should come with a warning: "Can't find what you're looking for? Click *here* to check our user guide, or click *here* to check our web site (but don't waste your time because they contain exactly the same content as these help files)."
I am thinking specifically of the FrameMaker help files / user guide, which are identical except for the layout, and the Webworks help files / user guide / web help, which are identical, spelling errors and all!
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3