Re: MINIMUM FONT SIZE FOR READABILITY

Subject: Re: MINIMUM FONT SIZE FOR READABILITY
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 07:56:47 -0800

From the perspective of having been in the typesetting business for more
than 30 years, I have to agree that type size is not the sole arbiter of
readability. We've all seen the back side of insurance forms. At one time
it was stated that the smallest type for that industry must be 10pt.
Well, Universe was created, and their 10pt was roughly equivalent to
8.5pt of most of the types that had been previously used for such, and
then they screened it back to a light gray in addition.

And Goeff Hart has the right idea. Set up some pages by varying type
size, leading and column width and pass it around to your colleagues.
What they find most readable use. You have your argument right there.
This is research on those who are asking you to figure out what to do.

Have fun.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972 - Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs. & portraits from
photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
etc. - Amway Dealer - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com & @earthlink.net
Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman