RE: Members Only Content on Chapter Web Site

Subject: RE: Members Only Content on Chapter Web Site
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 06:40:39 -0800 (PST)

Well ...

The question is, if all the resources are available to
everyone for free, why become a member of the STC?

Thus, if valuable information is restricted to members
only, then the benefit to members is that they have
access to valuable information that non-members do
not.

What content might be restricted? Well, job postings
comes to mind. But, will you turn away potential job
postings by restricting and reducing the set of people
who have access to the posted job? (Probably not, but
it's worth a thought.) And, you could restrict
educational information, such as detailed write-ups
about training and provide only a summary to the
masses.

(Scott, please contact me offline, I have some
additional questions.)

In the 90s, the Web was cool and froody, information
was traded freely .... Towards the end of the 90s,
people realised they could sell this information, as
it was valuable ... and by 2000 many companies trading
in information over the Web went bust. But ... the Web
has changed and, to have value, organisations like the
STC probably do have to lock out non-members. (Which
reminds me ... I hafta renew my dues.)

================
Scott Abel asked:
Just wondering if any of you have ever had to grapple
with the definition of "members only" content on your
STC chapter web sites? (or other organizations?) We're
building a new chapter web site for the Hoosier
STC and we are trying to determine what content (if
any) on the site should be restricted to members only?
I'd love to hear your ideas.

Our goal: To determine what content might be
restricted to members only and why.

Our struggle: What is the benefit to members?

=====
T.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html