Re: MS Word--Formatting text in cross reference fields

Subject: Re: MS Word--Formatting text in cross reference fields
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 08:05:55 -0800

Wendy_Secrist -at- selinc -dot- com wrote:

We've gotten around this by finding each cross reference field, selecting
it, and manually removing the bold format. I'm hoping there's an easier
way, such as changing the basic format of the cross reference fields (so
that text in the field is always formatted as regular text, regardless of
the format of the Figure xx).

With field codes showing, make sure each cross-reference field includes

\* MERGEFORMAT

You'll still have to format each field as normal text, but only once. From then on, Word will "remember" the formatting and preserve it when you update fields prior to publication.

I don't think the Insert, Cross-Reference command offers the mergeformat option, but the Insert, Field command does: choose the REF (or whatever) field type, and check the option labeled

Preserve formatting during updates

Note: These instructions describe the process in Word 2000, but I assume it's similar in more recent versions.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.