Re: M$ @ it again!!!

Subject: Re: M$ @ it again!!!
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:04:22 -0500

"k k" <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> I've pointed out Frame's
> greater stability and detailed the amount of time
> saved by not having to fight Word's notorious
> POM-dependent autonumbering/style instabilities.

I'm not even a major Framehead, but I just want to mention... I have
encountered a number of middle managers who have taught themselves fairly
well how to use Word's numbering features, which always work just fine - on
*their* PCs.

Of course, when their number formatting gets messed up on *your* PC,
obviously it's your fault. No use explaining to that list formatting is
stored in the style gallery attached to the user's local template - that's
just more tech writer whining about Word.

I knew one manager-type who was fed up with everyone's "incompetence" with
Word numbering.. . he spent an evening constructing a template, with
numbering styles all carefully linked to his list gallery, and sent it out
to everyone ("There! That's how you're supposed to do it!") It looked great
on his PC, of course.

Mike O.