Re: Am I asking too much of Word?

Subject: Re: Am I asking too much of Word?
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:58:04 -0500

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com writes:

My goals are relatively simple, so I figured I could pull it off, Word
guru that I am. Here's all I want:
? Outline-numbered headings (4 levels)
? Heirarchical bulleted lists created by clicking the Bullets icon on the
toolbar (made hierarchical with the Increase Indent icon on the toolbar)
? Numbered lists (regular, not outline) created by clicking the Numbering
icon. Ideally, I'd like these lists to always start at 1, even if there
are other lists earlier in the document. And again, I want levels of
hierarchy, created by clicking the Increase Indent icon.
Can't do it.
When I get the numbered lists looking good, the Heading numbers disappear.
When I have outline numbering working in the headings, the first level of
numbered lists comes out in the style of the nearest previous heading.
I'd pull my hair out, but I shave my head. So I turn to you. Can this be
done?

No.
To do all the things you want, you will need to create different styles for each element. Do not use Normal for anything, and make sure that each tag you create is based on "No Style."
Even if it were possible to set things up as you describe, your Word users would manage to screw it up anyway. Because of this, you are better off creating a template that you can fix easily, rather than one that others can work with easily (an impossibility, so there is no point in trying). Word works well as long as you stay away from auto-anything.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
2-271 Aubrey Street
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3