Re: Mac OS X 10.2.6 (Jaguar) compliant help

Subject: Re: Mac OS X 10.2.6 (Jaguar) compliant help
From: Gordon Meyer <gordonmeyer -at- mac -dot- com>
To: Amit Chandra <achandra -at- quark -dot- co -dot- in>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:37:00 -0800

Hello -

On Jan 20, 2004, at 4:05 AM, Amit Chandra wrote:

I have made a Web help for Jaguar using RoboHelp X3. The Web help uses
HTML frames. Since, Apple HelpViewer (the default help viewer for Jaguar)
is based on HTML 3.2, I added some Javascript snippet to make frames work
in AppleHelp viewer. My questions:

Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)'s Help Viewer does not support JavaScript. (Help Viewer in the latest release, 10.3 (Panther) does support JavaScript and HTML 4.0 etc)

b. What are the other tools available for creating Online Help (specially
for Macintosh OS)? Any suggestions.

It's just HTML, so most authors use whatever they're already doing to author for the Web. GoLive, Dreamweaver, BBedit, and so on.

By the way, there's a list specifically for questions about Apple Help. Go to http://lists.apple.com/ and sign up for Apple Help Authoring.

Best Regards,

--Gordon