PDFMaker 4 freezes when creating PDF from Word 2000

Subject: PDFMaker 4 freezes when creating PDF from Word 2000
From: John Cornellier <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:16:39 +0100

1. Word 2000 > File > Create Adobe PDF
2. Creation Options = Use Acrobat Distiller, distiller's printer
3. Click Create.
4. Prompt for filename, enter it.
5. PDFMaker freezes but file is created anyway.

Adobe's support knowledbase (319491) gives the following solutions:
a) "upgrade to Acrobat 5"
b) "Don't use PDFMaker"
c) "ignore the problem".

The latter seems to work for me, it somehow creates the file anyway. But I'm concerned that there may be some part of the job that's not getting done, & I just haven't noticed yet. Or whether it might start crashing at an earlier stage of the workflow, in which case I'll be stuck to produce the goods at the deadline.

I have set to Always Embed five Univers fonts (.pfm and .pfb files).

From looking on Google and this list's archives it appears that this is a known bug that's not going away.

What I'd prefer to do is print to .ps via the generic printer driver, then use Distiller to make the PDF, but I gather there's no way to make the bookmarks with that workflow.

John Cornellier