Re: RH X4 and Word 2003

Subject: Re: RH X4 and Word 2003
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:25:37 -0800

"John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com> wrote in message news:225522 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

Hey, guys...came across something odd.

I have, and others around here will be getting upgraded to Word 2003. We
just tried to install the latest version of RoboHelp Office X4 on my
machine and it failed to install, with the reason that X4 does not
support Word 2003.

My support people called eHelp (Macromedia?) support and they were told
that indeed, X4 does not, and that it is not planned to...ever.

Does this sound right? IS it right? Do I have an alternative way to go
within RH?

John Posada

Of course it sounds right. Microsoft Office System 2003 (and I won't even go
into the marketing decisions that resulted in the name) has only been in
development for more than two years, and X4 was developed and released well
within that time frame. eHelp (Macromedia) needs its revenue stream and it's
much more profitable to make you spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade to a
whole new version than to engineer a point release that works with such a
major product. They know you're probably trapped into using RH and that you
probably have the management support to neither spend the money it would
take to bring a new development tool into the company nor take the time to
convert your existing system to a different format (possibly also requireing
extra development resources from other parts of your team).

It's not user friendly, but hey, it's business.

</cynicism>

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf