Re: You know you're an incurable tech writer when...

Subject: Re: You know you're an incurable tech writer when...
From: Keri Morgret <kerilists -at- morgret -dot- net>
To: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com,"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:27:14 -0800

...your local newspaper is so bad that you write letters to the editor offering to install a spelling and grammar checker for them.

I've given up on the local paper though. Their latest one that got me was the teaser headline at the very top of the front page of the paper, referring to an article in another section, spoke of "duel religion families" at the holidays. This published on Christmas Day. The article had a sidebar about Hanukkah, saying that the holiday is minor, not mentioned in the Bible, last eight days, starts this evening and lasts eight days, ending December 27th. Well, they had written the sidebar for the week before and hadn't bothered to update it at all.

I miss the diversity of a bigger city (we have many farm workers from Mexico here, about half the town is of Hispanic decent, and it seems at least half the town is Catholic) and a real newspaper!

A coworker, who has also done some technical writing, once marked up a take out menu and redesigned the thing, correcting all of their spelling and grammar mistakes, and handed it back to them. Don't know if they ever did anything with it.

Keri

At 01:08 PM 1/8/2004, technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com wrote:

...you walk past the local greasy spoon, stop, walk back and correct the
chalkboard sign that says "warm up you're tummy with chilli"...

Any other symptoms y'all have to add?

Compulsively,
Mandy...yeah well, it's almost Friday--you can wait 'til tomorrow to
respond ;)