Re: PowerPoint is art

Subject: Re: PowerPoint is art
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:34:52 -0700

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:45:18 -0800, while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca ("Laurel Hickey") wrote:

> $
> $
> $Somehow I'd managed NOT to send this to the list:
> $
> $Well, I read the article.
> $
> $I don't think PowerPoint if broken. It does what it's designed to do and
> $does it... well, okay. I especially appreciate the ability to instantly
> $change the font colours and background to fit the lighting conditions
> $and projection equipment of various venues. What's broken is the idea
> $that one training model fits all: that simple points are adequate for
> $conveying both simple and complex concepts.
> $
> $ People who have something they need to teach have to ask themselves a
> $qestion we do everyday as technical writers: what is the best way or
> $ways to get the desired end result from the target audience.
> $
> $:-)
> $Laurel

I agree with you completely.

PowerPoint is a tool to help the presenter convey a message. It is not
a replacement for the presenter.

I like to think of PowerPoint as a kind of best supporting actor. The
presenter is the star.

If the presenter doesn't have a coherent message for the audience, all
the bells and whistles in PowerPoint aren't going to help him or her.

If the presenter does have a coherent message, he or she can deliver it
without PowerPoint. But PowerPoint can help him or her do it better.

John Fleming
Technical Writer
Edmonton, Alberta