RE: Compiling Manual in MS Word

Subject: RE: Compiling Manual in MS Word
From: "Jason Alan Smith" <jsmith2156 -at- satx -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:26:33 -0600

Regarding the Master Document general feature, has anyone used the Open
Office's Writer application's Master Document feature? Does it function
better than the MS Word's implementation?

Take care,

Jason

(PS: is this the top-posting that is frowned upon? anyone have a link to a
mail-list etiquette guide? I'll google for one as well -- also, is it
considered good etiquette to respond to the original poster AND the list or
just the list or just the poster?)

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

> One list member has documented his success with the Master Document
> feature under strictly controlled conditions; but the rest of us on
> the list typically find that it introduces more problems than it solves.

I feel that this point needs some qualification. Yes, the list member
has managed to use the Master Document feature - but only in such a
restricted way that, so far as I can see, he might as well not have used
it at all.