On The Subject Of People Looking For Work

Subject: On The Subject Of People Looking For Work
From: John Fleming <nospam -at- sprynet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:32:59 -0700

Speaking of people looking for work, anybody got any idea what this guy
is up to? This posting popped up in another list serve I follow.

It sounds to me like he is trying to pull a fast one on somebody, and I
am really trying to work out the details of the scam.

Has he really done such a terrible job in the past that he really needs
to pay someone to say good things about him?

Or is he up to a little skullduggery like identity theft?

Maybe we should be on the lookout for this kind of stuff.

$ From: <> (Reference Search)
$ Subject: ** Looking for someone act as a professional reference **
$ Date: 30 Dec 2003 09:23:28 -0800

$ I will pay $100 per phone call for you to act as a
$ professional reference. I'll provide all the information
$ you will need as well as my resume. Then my prospective
$ employers will contact you as "the reference". I am
$ required to provide a total of 5 references to these
$ companies but I'm looking for 7 individuals in the event
$ someone is not available or decides not to participate.
$
$ Here are the requirements for each of the FIVE references:
$
$ Reference 1. 10+ years of management experience with
$ technology expertise
$
$ Reference 2. Strong technical background with some
$ management experience
$
$ Reference 3. MBA and strong management experience
$
$ Reference 4. Strong management experience, business
$ development a BIG plus
$
$ Reference 5. 10+ years of management experience with
$ technology expertise
$
$
$ Here's how it'll work:
$
$ 1. If you're interested send me an email including your
$ resume. I've already crafted a "Reference Profile" which
$ includes everything you need to know to be a great
$ reference. I want to make sure you have the correct skill set.
$
$ 2. I will select the best candidates who most closely match
$ the Reference Profile and those 7 who are chosen will
$ receive my resume, the reference profile document and other
$ information.
$
$ 3. This is your chance to ask any questions relating to the
$ profile.
$ I will also provide my real email address, cell phone number
$ and even IM name so that I can help in real-time, even
$ during the phone call.
$ If you're still interested send me an email containing the
$ name and phone number you would like to use.
$
$ 4. I will send you an email EVERYTIME I give out your
$ contact information and I will also provide details on the
$ company doing the reference check. Since it's in my best
$ interest financially to limit the amount of reference checks
$ I will only give out your contact information when I am
$ close to getting a job offer.
$
$ 5. Please try to spend at least a few minutes going over
$ the notes so that you can present well. Once the phone call
$ is complete you then email me some notes on how it went.
$
$ 6. Once confirmed, I will pay you within 24 hours via
$ Paypal or check/money order within 3 business days.
$
$ Repeat steps 4 - 6 for EACH reference call.
$
$
$ If you're interested in making a $100 with only a 30 minute
$ phone call then send me an email along with your resume and
$ I'll provide more information.
$
$ I look forward to hearing from you,

John Fleming