State of the Single Source these days?

Subject: State of the Single Source these days?
From: Solveig Haugland <solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:16:09 -0700

Hi,

Apologies if this has been a recent discussion. I've been thinking about
it because I recently got a look at the, um, interesting course
development system that a large company recently bought, whose main
attributes seem to be an iffy interface, very few useful features, and
lots of output formats including something new I've never heard of. It
really seemed odd that this was the best they could find. (Or
theoretically the best they could find.)

So I'm just wondering what the single source situation is these days;
I'm on my own so not gettin' as much info from other techwriters. Is
there an *intelligent* single-source *program* emerging? Not roll your
own XML but something off the shelf. One that should let you put in
stuff in a good gui, attach enormous amounts of logic, then output
useful content to both multiple formats (HTML vs PDF) and multiple
approaches (help, training, manuals).

Thanks,
Solveig
solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com
"M is for Midnight when all work is done
I'd be home in bed if the last build would run."

http://www.techwriterstuff.com
Products expressing the agony and ecstacy of being a techwriter.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com